In 2005, the Buncefield fuel depot feeding Heathrow airport was destroyed by a large vapour cloud explosion caused by overflowing of a large gasoline storage tank. Improvements to many terminals worldwide have since been made incorporating the learnings from Buncefield.
To help Tank Farm operators assess and understand the risks associated with their operations, Safety Solutions offer the following services:
- Overfill and spill prevention risk studies —an engineering assessment of the causes and protection in place to prevent a significant spill.
- Consequence modelling from fires and explosions (resultant from spills) to define the effects on surrounding neighbours.
- Occupied Buildings Assessment to API 752
- Full quantitative risk assessment (QRA) of tank farm operations
- Hazard ID and Bowtie studies focussed on high consequence scenario’s
- Safety Management System audits